Liberia – Participating Member
The Liberia Assemblies of God has approximately 400 churches, 75,000 adherents and 300 trained pastors. The church currently operates four active ministerial training institutions: one Bible college and three Bible institutes. The fourth Bible institute is currently undergoing renovation after being damaged by the civil war.
This church was founded by American and Canadian Pentecostal missionaries who first arrived in Liberia on Christmas day 1908, just two years after the Azusa Street revival in Los Angeles, USA. They were the first to take the gospel into the hinterlands of Liberia. After six years of their evangelism and church planting efforts in Southeastern Liberia, the Assemblies of God organization was established in the USA in 1914. Recognizing the commonality of belief and practice, the churches planted in Liberia were annexed to the Assemblies of God. The Liberia Assemblies of God is the largest Pentecostal group in Liberia, a country of 3.5 million people.
Currently the church has one home missionary couple. The couple has planted one church with five preaching points among the unreached people in northern Liberia.
Rev. Dr. Edwin A. Gbelly
Liberia Assemblies of God, Inc.
PO Box 1297