Pray for Action
Children who are exploited often normalize the abuse. Victims are often controlled through psychological manipulation, developing emotional attachments to their captors. Most suffer physical violence, and many believe the lies they are told: “You’ll never survive if you leave.” “No one will believe or help you.” “You have no options.” “You don’t deserve better.” “You’ve done this to yourself.”
“If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me...even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” Psalm 139:12 (NIV)
Father, we pray You set the captives free! Penetrate the darkness where victims of human trafficking are held. Be light around each one. Break through the lies they have believed and shine Your Truth into their spirit. Birth hope. Send help. Let Your Church be aware and prepared to journey with them in this healing process. We pray for jobs, a steady income, housing, and a loving community where their families can thrive. AMEN.
Pray for Action
Systems are in place which deny access to education, economic opportunities, and social connections. Corruption and complicity among government officials strengthen the power of criminal networks. Religious, ethnic and gender bias push sectors of society out to the margins where little opportunity for development exists.
“He has told you, o mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8 (NIV)
Heavenly Father: We recognize all power and authority comes from You. Raise up believers of influence who will use your authority and influence to demand justice for the marginalized and excluded. Give us wisdom to maximize the resources in our communities, allowing each of us to contribute the gifts You’ve given us. Convict the complacent. May the Church be known for defending those who cannot repay, for opening doors of opportunity to those who have no connections and for sharing with all in need, expecting nothing in return. AMEN.
Pray for Action
There are an estimated 40.3 million slaves in our world today; 65% are female and 1:3 are children. (Global Slavery Index and GLOTIP, 2018)
Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 82:3-4 (NIV)
Heavenly Father: We offer ourselves as instruments of your justice. Give Your people a hungry heart for knowledge, to be aware of the details of human trafficking. Break our hearts for those suffering from injustice and move us to establish authentic freedom as we unite in prayer. MAKE US AWARE of our authority to break both spiritual and physical chains. By Your grace, move us into the darkest corners of our communities to deliver the weak, the fatherless, the poor and oppressed from the hand of the wicked. AMEN.
The WAGF Commission on Sexual Exploitation, Slavery and Trafficking (CSEST) invites you to pray
people are trapped in modern day slavery
- 24.9 million - forced labor
- 15.4 million - forced marriage
For every 1000 people in the world
- 5.4 are victims of modern slavery
- 1 in 4 victims are children
- Women and girls are disproportionately affected by forced labour, accounting for 99% of victims in the commercial sex industry, and 58% in other sectors
Not one person can do everything,
but everyone can do something.
WAGF Commission on Sexual Exploitation, Slavery, and Trafficking
Now I will break their yoke, from your neck
and tear your shackles away. Nahum 1:13
The CSEST strategic plan is Awareness, Action, and Advocacy. Advocacy is speaking up on someone else’s behalf. We believe that prayer is a vital way to advocate for victims of human trafficking.
Pray for the vulnerable and for the church to see the most at risk before they are exploited.
- James 1:27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
- We pray for single mothers struggling to care for their children. We pray for families displaced by conflict and violence. We pray for our communities to have eyes to see the distress of the vulnerable in our own neighborhoods. We pray that we will be a church that is not corrupted by greed and the world’s values. We pray that we are good stewards who wisely to support leaders who assure fair wages to those who produce the goods and services we use.
Pray for the rescued and for the church to serve and restore those broken in spirit and in body.
- Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.
- We pray for rescue from exploitation for labor and sex trafficking victims, and we pray for healing for those who have suffered physical and emotional trauma. We pray for a church that is ready to serve with hands that heal and restore both bodies and spirits that have been trapped in darkness, seemingly hopeless.
Pray for the local church to reach out to the most marginalized. These are the most vulnerable.
- Matthew 25:43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’